Supporting and Training Communities on Edtech in Costa Rica
Goal: Provide immersive service learning programs for students interested in technology and education.
Background: TeachUNITED is a nonprofit that partners with rural schools in the Sarapiquí region of Costa Rica for an intensive two-year program that includes on-site teacher coaching, a robust training program, and mobile off-the-grid technology. TeachUNITED delivers an arsenal of tools and support to help their partner schools join the ranks of the most successful schools on earth. Once the two-year program is complete, schools become part of the global TeachUNITED network, where teacher graduates mentor the next cohort of educators to create long-term, sustainable change.
Project: Macalester College has joined and Middlebury College has continued a partnership with Team4Tech to provide immersive service learning programs for students interested in technology and education. As part of this program, the student volunteers:
- Provided technology support and training for TeachUNITED teacher trainers on new Edtech software that can be used in their regular training.
- Provided technology support and training for participating teachers on the use of RACHEL servers.
- In addition, they delivered workshops to:
- Community members on technology to support their businesses.
- Primary school students and teachers on Scratch coding.
- Students from the Universidad Nacional on English language acquisition apps and software that will help them pursue their careers in tourism.