Creating Equitable Education in Tanzania and Costa Rica with TeachUNITED
Project Type: Virtual or On-site
When: November/December preferred or late-Match through May
Every child deserves access to a quality, equitable education. Yet more than half of the world’s children are not learning critical math, literacy, and life skills. Public schools must rely on teachers to adequately prepare students to be our next generation’s leaders, but much of the world’s teachers lack the training and materials to do so.
TeachUNITED offers year-long school and district partnerships that include instructional coaching, teacher training, leadership development, and digital resources for teachers. TeachUNITED partners with education stakeholders in Costa Rica, Tanzania, and rural Colorado, USA, to ensure sustainable, systemic change can occur. TeachUNITED programs have three main components:
- Personalized coaching for teachers to refine and expand their expertise
- Toolkits focused on growth mindset, personalized training, student engagement, and effective use of data
- Opportunities for teachers to connect with peers, share ideas, and stay engaged and motivated
- Researching and supporting the implementation of a Learning Management System for TeachUNITED to more effectively distribute their curriculum to teachers
- Expanding their digital literacy curriculum (RACHEL servers, basic ICT skills, etc.) from Tanzania to their schools in Costa Rica and the US
- Curating apps and curriculum for Costa Rican teachers to support engaging students in their classrooms
Impact: TeachUNITED coached teachers supporting 7,500 students in 2019 and plans to continue to grow that number in 2020 as they scale into more schools.